TWD: Lenox Almond Biscotti

Tuesday, October 14, 2008



Today's TWD recipe was chosen by Gretchen of Canela & Comino who picked the Lenox Almond Biscotti. It was a lovely recipe with almost endless possible variety. Thank you Gretchen for the great pick!



I made two variations:

  1. Lemon Almond Biscotti:
    I used Dorie's recipe, rubbing in the zest of two lemons into the sugar before creaming. I substituted semolina for the cornmeal as it is not available here (I was told polenta is available but quite expensive). I also added one teaspoon vanilla essence in place of one teaspoon of almond essence (I was going to leave that out completely but eventually added only the half teaspoon) While I was shaping the logs my mom was telling me "You should add some flour. The dough needs extra flour" but I told her "they" said it would be wet so I left it as it was. It spread considerably in the oven. The taste was ok but not "wow". My mom thought it was too lemony :)




  2. Cinnamon "Caramel" Biscotti

  3. I had to ask everyone to please not finish these off before I took pics. I've always made this Cinnamon Hazelnut Biscotti (sans hazelnuts) from the AllRecipes website. It's so much a favorite recipe I actually make it in double batches. So I had to make cinnamon biscotti. I was trying to come up with a cinnamon combo when a coworker suggested "sugar" or "caramel" goes well with cinnamon. Sugar? It already has sugar. Caramel? At this point it seemed suitable to use brown sugar in place of the white. And that is exactly what I did, cup for cup. I also added 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder to the dry ingredients. For the cornmeal, I just substituted half a cup whole wheat flour. Plus I added about a quarter of a cup flour as my mother's suggestion. These did not spread as much in the oven and were much better accepted. I literally had to hide them to stop them from being eaten.




I will certainly try this recipe again with other combinations. Don't forget to check out the TWD Blogroll to see what everyone else made this week. I'm going there just now to check out the great combination everyone has come up with!

And many thanks go to my sister Tem, who helped with the food styling :)

Happy Baking!

11 comments:

Madam Chow said...

I'm going to have to try those cinnamon caramel biscotti - that's a flavor combo that my husband would love!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Mari said...

When my knee is up for it, I'd like to make a lemon version too! I already bought some lovely organic candied lemon zest, which I think will be a great addition! Btw, thanks for stopping by! I like your blog, it's cute!

Anonymous said...

Your cinnamon caramel biscotti sound wonderful. Yum!

AmyRuth said...

I loved the biscotti, didn't you? So glad I tried it. i learned something new. So cool the cinnamon and caramel combination! Must try.
AmyRuth

Gretchen Noelle said...

Lovely comparison of the two recipes. I think the lemon version would have tasted terrific!

Teanna DiMicco said...

That cinnamon caramel sounds like it was a huge hit!!! They look fantastic!

Shari said...

That coffee and biscotti make me want to go get one right now!

Jaime said...

caramel biscotti....yum!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your cinnamon/brown sugar variation!

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious with some coffee :-)The hello kitty cake is adorable

Jacque said...

MMM, your variations sound fantastic! I'll have to try the caramel version.